SCSBOA Parade Music Question about The Liberty Bell March

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

jamescaestecker

SCSBOA Parade Music Question about The Liberty Bell March

Post by jamescaestecker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Hello all. I am the Drum Major at SCHS and I have a question for anyone who knows the music regulations for marches in SCSBOA Parades. We are playing the Liberty Bell March by Sousa. I know SCSBOA mandates that marches be played without repeats. in this version of the Liberty Bell (yes, it is from the approved march list, I checked the arranger), the trio (mm37 to 69) has no repeat in it. Though no repeat bar is marked in my part (Trombone) I think the score or perhaps some of the other instruments have a repeat written around the single-measure repeat in the 4th line (see img below mm49).
I don't want my band deducted points because of a repeat infraction. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks,
-James Caestecker

Co-Drum Major (Field and Parade)
San Clemente High School
Triton Marching Alliance

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: SCSBOA Parade Music Question about The Liberty Bell March

Post by vore » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 pm

SCSBOA PAC music adjudication decisions are based on the Conductor Score not the individual parts. Your band director needs to look at the Conductor Score to see if a repeat and/or first and second endings are indicated.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

DirectorDrummerJudge

Post by DirectorDrummerJudge » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:28 pm

The SCSBOA music rule regarding repeats pertains to repeating strains of the march. It appears that what you have marked is simply a measure repeat. If that were a violation, nearly every band would be penalized due to the repeats on the drum parts!

jamescaestecker

Post by jamescaestecker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 pm

No, I'm not. I understand the single measure repeat. it just so happens that a repeat bar (i think) exists in the conductor's score, and the 1st ending just so happens to start somewhere arround that measure.
-James Caestecker

Co-Drum Major (Field and Parade)
San Clemente High School
Triton Marching Alliance

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 pm

jamescaestecker wrote:No, I'm not. I understand the single measure repeat. it just so happens that a repeat bar (i think) exists in the conductor's score, and the 1st ending just so happens to start somewhere arround that measure.
I just checked all the parts and score at bandpdf.org. Some parts are written out, and some have 1st and second endings. The score has 1st and 2nd endings.

If it were me, I would send the VP of Parade Adjudication a copy of the score and several parts, both those with and without the repeat, and ask for a ruling.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 am

When we (Bonita Vista HS) performed it, we followed the parts and cut out those measures at the trio.... we were lucky.... no penalties for that.

but now, can anyone explain Shrewsburry Fair and how to get to the trio properly with SCSBOA standards please?
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMJUDGE » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 am

As for Shrewsbury, the accepted SCSBOA way to play it seems to be to skip the repeat back to the first strain and go directly to the trio. This is the way Arcadia and Whitney played it. Hope that helps.

Brennan
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 pm

DMJUDGE wrote:As for Shrewsbury, the accepted SCSBOA way to play it seems to be to skip the repeat back to the first strain and go directly to the trio. This is the way Arcadia and Whitney played it. Hope that helps.

Brennan
But both bands played them differently. That threw me off.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.