Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

1A/4A

Post by gangemi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi kids...

Sitting here in the press box tabbing 1A/4A. I will post scores as soon as I can.

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: 1A/4A

Post by BD94Euph » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Do we have scores for 1A?

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Official recaps will go up Monday. There is a thread already open asking about scores and 1A/4A is posted. I knew the WOP population would get them posted before I did...

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Well, from past experience lurking on this forum, some people have been waiting for today for a long, LONG time. Are you prepared to offer any reviews?

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Me? I can tell you what I thought of the bands from what I remember in between each tab session...or at least the ones who stood out.

These aren't good reviews...I suck at this. I will just give my opinions

1A
My favorite band of this division was South East. I don't know what it is about them, but they have impressed me nonstop since last year when I first heard them. They are really something else.

The top 3 were great. Basically what you expect from Charter Oak, San Marcos, and Los Angeles. LA's tubas are incredible. The pride they take in their performing is unreal, and can they PLAY!

This was the first time in a while where I thought all of the bands were really good. No fluff in this division. All strong bands with great performances. Tustin's show was cute, but I don't think they did it to cover any major deficiency. They did it because it was cool. Make sense?

The only thing which struck me as really odd was the band that played the Steely Dan show. I think it was Yucaipa. If not, I apologize, but I'm pretty sure it was. During Rikki Don't Lose That Number, there are 2 or 3 instances where they are playing a BLATANT wrong note at the end of the chorus, and I remember a music judge pointing it out at the Ramona show on their tape, and it still wasn't fixed for Championships, which leads me to believe that the wrong note is intentional, but made absolutely no musical sense. I hope I was just missing something because my head was buried in my laptop adding up scores.

4A
Warren was realllllllllly good. That score was not a "host inflation". They earned that puppy. Heck, all of the bands in this division were also really great. South Hills was absolutely on fire. Wow. Just an incredible performance. No drum major and nobody seemed to care. It didn't phase them for one second. Hart was, well, Hart...awesome! I think they had some electronics issues, because the "clock" didn't light up tonight. I looked like an idiot when I was telling the head judge.."OK, watch the tarp...this is awesome", and nothing happened. I don't think that would have made up for the point and a half or so they lost to South Hills by, however. I think this was an instance where Hart didn't lose to South Hills because they weren't good, they lost to South Hills because South Hills was better. Does that make sense? I seem to say that to my students a lot. If they don't make an honor group or if they are a lower chair in a band class than they want and they did a great job, I tell them that they can't control what others do. They were great, but someone happened to be better. South Hills was better.

Eastlake's guard costumes and keytar in the pit will leave a lasting impression, as well.

There is MUCH more to be said, but this is what I recall from watching half of every show and listening to them from behind a window. I am the number monkey...what do I know???

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:14 am

THANK YOU!!! :D I know you're crazy busy as usual, and I can appreciate the time this took. For those of us that couldn't make it out tonight, I guess I wanted to hear from someone up in the box that the impossible really did happen tonight, and with good reason. Not that I'm overly thrilled about it... but you win some, you lose some. At least now all the haters will have to find someone else to pick on...

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:03 pm

just to add to the above comment "at least the haters will have to find someone else to pick on"

I held my tongue (or typing more accurately) numerous times last night as I saw people on facebook making posts celebrating Hart not winning the gold. I just do not understand this mentality of disliking a group because they are excellent year after year. In my opionion these "haters" just make themselves and the groups they have ties to look bitter and tacky.

Congrats to South Hills. I am sure they were fantastic and it was a deserved win.

How about Congrats to Hart too, silver isn't exactly shabby and I'm sure they'll continue to raise the bar as they always do.

As for me, I think we should admire, appreciate and celebrate ALL the kids, directors, parents and staff that make our little pageantry world go around. Regardless of the name of the school or the placement they get, it's all pretty cool :love:

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:37 pm

laurab wrote:just to add to the above comment "at least the haters will have to find someone else to pick on"

I held my tongue (or typing more accurately) numerous times last night as I saw people on facebook making posts celebrating Hart not winning the gold. I just do not understand this mentality of disliking a group because they are excellent year after year. In my opionion these "haters" just make themselves and the groups they have ties to look bitter and tacky.

Congrats to South Hills. I am sure they were fantastic and it was a deserved win.

How about Congrats to Hart too, silver isn't exactly shabby and I'm sure they'll continue to raise the bar as they always do.

As for me, I think we should admire, appreciate and celebrate ALL the kids, directors, parents and staff that make our little pageantry world go around. Regardless of the name of the school or the placement they get, it's all pretty cool :love:
LIKE!!!

sstockman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by sstockman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Mike,

The wrong not in the Yucaipa is intensional and part of the actual Steely Dan song. Different sections come in at different times on minor 2nds which is tough to do well and not be misunderstood as a mistake.

I was also quite impressed with all the shows at champs this year.
Hail Sinfonia!

Park View Middle School Band/Choir 2009-present
Yucaipa High School Director 2008-2009

Rancho Buena Vista B&P c/o 2002
CSU Long Beach '06
SDSU '08
University of Redlands '14

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks so much for the clarification. I couldn't imagine that something that wrong would have gone on like that without being fixed.

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 am

Unfortunately as a director of one of the 1A groups I didn't get to see many of the shows, but the scores definitely prove Mike's point that there was no fluff to be seen. The scores were very tight this year in 1A. In previous years there were often score gaps multiple places within the division, and sometimes pretty big ones....enough so that you could be pretty confident in predicting most of the placements prior to the competition...even without seeing the shows.

Also interesting to note was how close the individual judges were to each other, there were occasional differences in opinion, but how often do you see music judge numbers that are that close to each other consistently throughout the show. Heck, South East got the exact same music score from both judges!

Congrats to all those who performed at Championships, especially in the smaller divisions where you really have to be a cut above to make it on the grid.

Norman

Director
Lancaster HS

altosax18
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by altosax18 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:51 pm

As far as Hart not winning gold this year, it might be good for them. When I saw their reaction to them earning second it made me mad. I saw a few kids start to cry, Crying really? When the gold winner was announced I didn’t see any Hart kids clap for them, I even heard a couple of kids boo them. It feels as if they expected to win, no matter what performance they gave. This experience might teach them to lose with dignity and celebrate with grace. When I was in band, if we acted the way they did during the awards ceremony, we would have gotten in serious trouble from the parent s and band directors. They would never want our band to be seen acting that way.

One band I’ve always been impressed with is Rancho Bernardo. I always see the parents and students cheering for the other bands, no matter what the outcome is. Never see any of them being disrespectful to another band; they are just a class A act. I wish other bands would be as disciplined as these students are during the awards.
Last edited by altosax18 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarcland
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by zarcland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 pm

altosax18 wrote: When the gold winner was announced I didn’t see any Hart kids clap for them, I even heard a lot of kids boo them.
I happened to be very near where Hart was sitting, and I can confirm that they were mostly silent when the Gold winner was announced. However, I did not hear any boos whatsoever (it would have been hard for me to miss, and I surely would have taken note).

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

zarcland wrote:
I happened to be very near where Hart was sitting, and I can confirm that they were mostly silent when the Gold winner was announced. However, I did not hear any boos whatsoever (it would have been hard for me to miss, and I surely would have taken note).

Thank you, I felt reluctant to reply to the accusations having not been there in person, but I can say with a great deal of certainty that my alma mater (2008, but I think I still know how it works) would never boo during awards, and if any single member decided that was appropriate, by Monday he'd wish he was dead.

That said, I know they were in shock, and perhaps given a few minutes to recover they might've seen fit to give South Hills the respect they deserve, as I know several members have done so since then. It was a hard loss for Hart; they'd come off late-season victories against Clovis West, Saratoga, and Chino Hills, and really weren't expecting to lose last Saturday. But I think that when that didn't happen, they felt disappointed in themselves for coming up short on a personal goal, not angry towards the judges or towards other bands.

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:16 pm

[quote="altosax18"]As far as Hart not winning gold this year, it might be good for them. When I saw their reaction to them earning second it made me mad. I saw a few kids start to cry, Crying really? When the gold winner was announced I didn’t see any Hart kids clap for them, I even heard a lot of kids boo them. It feels as if they expected to win, no matter what performance they gave. This experience might teach them to lose with dignity and celebrate with grace. When I was in band, if we acted the way they did during the awards ceremony, we would have gotten in serious trouble from the parent s and band directors. They would never want our band to be seen acting that way.

[quote]

How would you expect a 15 year old kid who has poured heart and soul into thier performance to react when a stadium full of people errupt in applause not because they WON the silver medal but CELEBRATING THAT THEY DIDN'T WIN THE GOLD. I highly doubt these kids boo'd anyone and when I think about how those poor kids must have felt seeing that reaction and if they heard the comments people were making "it's about time" "yay they finally lost" etc etc. it makes me sick. And alot of that behavior FROM ADULTS! Those are the people who really should be ashamed of themselves.