Results - Arcadia Festival of Bands

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bandfan88
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Results - Arcadia Festival of Bands

Post by bandfan88 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Had some time so decided to punch in the numbers from Saturday into an excel sheet.

Please let me know if you find any errors. Note that Arcadia's score has been included in the ordinals for the total band score.

Enjoy!
Attachments
2011 Arcadia BR Recap.pdf
(66.18 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

corkie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by corkie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

bandfan88 wrote:Had some time so decided to punch in the numbers from Saturday into an excel sheet.

Please let me know if you find any errors. Note that Arcadia's score has been included in the ordinals for the total band score.

Enjoy!
This is pretty awesome bandfan 88! Thank you for posting it!

bandfan88
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bandfan88 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm

corkie wrote:
bandfan88 wrote:Had some time so decided to punch in the numbers from Saturday into an excel sheet.

Enjoy!
This is pretty awesome bandfan 88! Thank you for posting it!
You're very welcome!

Here are the recaps from the field tournament.
Attachments
2011 Arcadia FT Recap.pdf
(69.43 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Last edited by Luis on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks for posting videos!
Mayfair's auxiliary is awesome=D Very nor-cal-esque! But those kids PERFORM!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:06 pm

guardthepiccolo wrote:Thanks for posting videos!
Mayfair's auxiliary is awesome=D Very nor-cal-esque! But those kids PERFORM!
You're welcome and I agree with you. Mayfair's auxiliary is really, really good!

Albert760
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Albert760 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:25 am

It was Shadow Hills High School's first time at the Arcadia Festival of Bands, and it didn't fail to impress. We did pretty good for our first time at the AFOB, we hope to do even better next year. Congratulations to all the Sweepstakes Bands and the Grand Champion. Also, I'm a little saddened to hear that Tom Landes is retiring from Arcadia High School, seeing how amazing that program is at AHS, and what he made it into all these years.I can say for sure that Tom Landes left a very long lasting legacy in the community of Arcadia and a huge mark on all those young musicians lives, he truly made "The Long Red Line" what it is today.

-Albert M.
Shadow Hills HS
Albert Moncada
Instructor
Shadow Hills HS

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:33 pm

I was very impressed with the quality of the performances at Arcadia last weekend. The bands did a superb job of bringing their A game and it was great to see the results of the hard work that went into polishing each performance over the past several weeks. (Caveat: I was never in band myself, so I miss things others will catch.) Just a few bands I especially liked in no particular order:

Shadow Hills: a nice start for a newcomer! I'm looking forward to hearing from them at future AFOBs.

Whitney and West both played Eagle Squadron, with different directors' choices, and each version had plenty of things to like.

West: "They're back [to Arcadia] and better than ever"--corny but true. I missed them last year at AFOB, although it was a rotten day for the bands. West's trumpets came a long way over the season and played with the confidence I've heard from them on the field. The first strain had a punch which gave them a military feel that really works with this march. Overall, they really took it up a notch from previous years--very nice performance.

Whitney: great support from the low brass, especially the horns, and a beautiful ensemble sound. Very nice dynamics. Whitney just keeps getting better and they didn't disappoint. Their drum major was very good. (I miss the pipes.) Overall an impressive performance.

Gladstone: Wow! These guys just keep getting better, too. Somehow I didn't pay attention to them until a couple of years ago, so I've had the feeling they came out of nowhere. Confident playing, good dynamics. Huge sound for a small band. Hostrauser has them at the top of 2A for the SCSBOA Championships and it's easy to see why.

John Glenn: These guys had the whole package. I'm not a big fan of Bravura, but they made it sound fresh. Beautiful ensemble sound (not sure I'm using the term correctly - I mean the "blend"). They looked great, too. Much improved attacks and releases . They must have worked their butts of since Chino two weeks earlier.

Santiago: You can see why they will be going to the Rose Parade in 2013. Again, another band that brought their best performance to Arcadia. Everything was tightened up and got another layer of polish (to mix metaphors). Beautiful sound. One of the videos online showed them in the "tournament of roses area ' after competition - great fanfare. I wish they'd play it in competition.

There were quite a few pleasant surprises at Arcadia this year and it seems marching is getting better overall. I don't recall ever seeing so many bands with visible diagonals, feet hitting the ground at the same time (sure there's a term for this), etc. as I did this year. Many small bands are producing a big sound - on the street as well as field. I do miss Poway and Westview on the street and hope they'll be back at some point, but overall the trend towards emphasizing field over street performance wasn't evident last week. :yeah:

About Tom Landes' retirement...I can barely think about it. I'm sure there will be a thread for this sometime soon and I hope by then I'll be able to put things into words.