World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SCSBOA 1A division
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:49 pm 
New Recruit
New Recruit

Looks like after yesterday competitions in the 1a group the intensity grew. many groups got very high scores for a 1a group and lots of 10 plus points jumps. Looks like this year 1a prediction might get a bit tricky this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SCSBOA 1A division
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yes, lots of interesting things happening. Particularly interesting to me was the score jump from Tustin. Not so much that it was a big jump in score in a couple of weeks, but that they did it with little change in their music score. Rarely do you see a group jump so much in score just in Visual and GE...and rarely do you see a GE score that is higher than the Music score.

But as I assumed when everyone was assuming Oxnard was the band to beat after Royal...looks like LA, Charter Oak, and Oxnard are going to be the ones going head to head, unless some of the rest of us sneak up there soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 am 
Rookie
Rookie

magicsax22 wrote:
But as I assumed when everyone was assuming Oxnard was the band to beat after Royal...looks like LA, Charter Oak, and Oxnard are going to be the ones going head to head, unless some of the rest of us sneak up there soon.

Was it really EVERYONE that assumed that Oxnard was the band to beat, or just a certain troll?

www.MonroviaMusic.org

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Have any of you seen all of the 1a contenders or are you just going off of scores from various shows? Doesn't count until it's the same show, same judges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Euphman wrote:
Have any of you seen all of the 1a contenders or are you just going off of scores from various shows? Doesn't count until it's the same show, same judges.

This can be very true, but usually judging is consistent enough that when you have a couple of bands scoring in the mid 70's and the others are scoring in the mid to high 60's, you can assume that group A have stronger shows than group B. I'd dare say that in most cases scores from different shows are probably close, at least within a few points. Would I say a group that scores a 65 at one show would have definitely beat out one that scores a 63 at a different show? No, but a gap of 4 or 5 points is probably enough between shows.

I'm not saying I can guess who will win the division, or the placements as a lot can happen in a few weeks, but history has shown us that Charter Oak and LA will always been in the top of the division, and I have seen Oxnard's show. They have a good sound this year, not surprised by their scores.

The 1A division always proves to be quite interesting and I'm sure it will again this year. Personally I love seeing bands in the 3 and 4A size do their thing, but a great performance by a 1 or 2A band is far more impressive to me. You simply cannot hide the mistakes and everyone has to be contributing strongly to have a great performance of a small band...not so with a larger band.

Norman

Director
Lancaster HS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:37 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff

For those interested, I just posted my week 5 SCSBOA rankings, updated with this past weekend's contests. 8-)

Profile E-mail