WBA Contenders 2011

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bandnotes

WBA Contenders 2011

Post by bandnotes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 am

Who do you think the top contenders are for AAAA, AAA, and AA this year?
Will any band ever be able to supplant James Logan as the AAAAA champs? Ever?

HTD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: WBA Contenders 2011

Post by HTD » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 am

Will any band ever be able to supplant James Logan as the AAAAA champs? Ever?

From this year on, any band will. Look at their size, they are shrinking.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Mission Viejo has in the past.
-Stop global whining.

midavid
Rookie
Rookie

Propensity for Size

Post by midavid » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 pm

HTD wrote:From this year on, any band will. Look at their size, they are shrinking.
Okay, really?! At the past Valley Christian Quest Classic competition at Chabot College, other spectators around me openly gave similar feedback on how size matters. What is it with you people's propensity for size?!
"You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." -Lisa Simpson

"Mom, I'm going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life: by pressing ALT F5 repeatedly." -Bart Simpson

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:03 pm

(giggity)

dbg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Propensity for Size

Post by dbg » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm

midavid wrote:
HTD wrote:From this year on, any band will. Look at their size, they are shrinking.
Okay, really?! At the past Valley Christian Quest Classic competition at Chabot College, other spectators around me openly gave similar feedback on how size matters. What is it with you people's propensity for size?!
The size of the group doesn't always matter. In 2005 Newbury Park won the 1A division in WBA and outscored all of the 2A bands at Championships. In 2006 Newbury park won 1A and outscored all but 1 of the 2A bands, and about all but 5 of the 3A bands at Championships. So to a certain extent the size of a group doesn't matter.

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 pm

dbg wrote: The size of the group doesn't always matter.
That's right it's... how you use it...

dbg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dbg » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

resetdoitagain wrote:
dbg wrote: The size of the group doesn't always matter.

http://www.starwarssuperstore.com/catal ... button.jpg

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Even though Clovis West isn't technically a "WBA band"--competing in WBA or not--let me just say that they are one of the smallest bands I have seen that have made my jaw drop. Size DOES NOT matter, because they decimated bands twice and three times their size this evening at a show in Utah, and no doubt they would do the same to MOST California bands.

Alan

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Clovis West, size-wise, would be a 3A band in SCSBOA

They're barely 4A in WBA, even though they choose to compete in 5A.

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Small is very subjective... I'd say a solid 80% of bands in the country (or at least in this state... I don't get out much) would say Clovis West is a pretty good-sized band.

But yes, for their level of performance, they're definitely WAY smaller than most of their competitors.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:41 am

resetdoitagain wrote:Small is very subjective... I'd say a solid 80% of bands in the country (or at least in this state... I don't get out much) would say Clovis West is a pretty good-sized band.
Overall, yes, because there are tens of thousands of tiny high schools in the country (150-300 students) that send out competitive marching bands in the midwest and south.

But, as you alluded to, for a nationally competitive, BOA-Semis caliber band, they are fairly small. (As is Ooltewah, TN. As is Tarpon Springs, FL.)

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:55 am

I wonder if any else here remembers that back in the mid 1980's Ramona High School in Riverside had a small but mighty band and at the Savanna Tournament entered the Open Class against bands like Los Altos, who marched over 300 in their band back in the day. I was sitting with John Hannan, now director at Mission Viejo, and we were both blown away when this little band, marching only 34 wind players, came on and almost knocked us of our seats. Only Los Altos' 200 plus wind musicians out blew them that night. Ramona was hard corps drum corps style back then and a little shy on visual effect because of their size, but they more than held their own against much bigger bands that year.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

slam
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by slam » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Wow...Im surprised anyone remembers that. I was a member of that band playing mellophone and distinctly remember the feeling we had that night. Its one of those "moments" in your life that you never ever forget.
Our drum corps style was attributed to the efforts of our staff and director who were all working with Sky Ryders the previous few years. Notably, Lee Carlson was our visual tech and colorguard caption head during those those years at Ramona. That staff would accept nothing less then our best and took a rag tag group of kids who knew nothing about the competitive activity and made us hungry to take down those marching band Goliaths of the day.
Marc

"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

midavid
Rookie
Rookie

James Logan Short on Funds

Post by midavid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 am

bandnotes wrote:Will any band ever be able to supplant James Logan as the AAAAA champs? Ever?
Or they just won't be able to afford attending WBA Championships this year.

http://www.loganbandandcolorguard.org/m ... -cancelled
"You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." -Lisa Simpson

"Mom, I'm going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life: by pressing ALT F5 repeatedly." -Bart Simpson