New rules for Band Coaches - Anyone else have to do this?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

gotabasset
New Recruit
New Recruit

New rules for Band Coaches - Anyone else have to do this?

Post by gotabasset » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Our high school district informed us that all of our staff - instrument coaches, marching instructors, visual staff - including volunteers, now has to have TB tests, fingerprinting, CPR and First Aid certifications as of July 1st. Since this new law took effect and not everyone was aware of it, we're probably not the only school struggling to get staff certified. If anyone in the San Gabriel Valley needs to have a class in CPR and First Aid for their staff and needs an instructor, contact me at Arroyo High School. We just had a course done for our staff at the high school - the instructor came to us - and it was less expensive than a lot of other programs. The instructor is a firefighter and certified instructor for both CPR and First Aid with a lot of experience. I'm happy to share his contact information if you are interested.

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New rules for Band Coaches - Anyone else have to do this?

Post by BDinkel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Not out of the ordinary at all. It has always been that way in Moorpark Unified and other places I've worked, but it has been required in Chino Valley USD for over a year, and I think Capistrano and other places now require it too.

It makes sense... I just wish they didn't make you renew it every two years, when the only change in protocol has typically been the ratio of chest compressions/rescue breaths since I first became certified in 2002. (now it is just chest compressions, no rescue breathing)

Mark Stone
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark Stone » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:55 pm

In Chino Valley USD they also have to have a certificate from the office of California Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Were told it is a state law... The up-side is that the certificate is good anywhere in California, just like a teaching credential.
Mark Stone, Ayala High School

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 pm

It's the same in the Fremont Union High School District and has been for some time. We can take the CPR/First Aid online now though, which is much easier.
I've had to be fingerprinted and TB tested in every district I've worked for since 2005
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:32 am

Im actually more surprised this is a new requirement for you. CPR and first aid aren't always required but i always have to get tb and fingerprints done.

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm

First things I had to do when I registered to be a coach with the Garden Grove USD 4 years ago: TB test, fingerprints, CPR, and first aid!
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004