Poway Invitational Field Tournament - Schedule & Results

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

usd_chem_prof
New Recruit
New Recruit

Poway Invitational Field Tournament - Schedule & Results

Post by usd_chem_prof » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 am

The final schedule for the 19th Annual Poway Invitational Field Tournament, on October 22nd is now available!

Performance Band Class

10:45 AM Fallbrook 1A
11:00 AM Chula Vista 1A
11:15 AM Otay Ranch 1A
11:30 AM San Ysidro 1A
11:45 PM Mt. Miguel 1A
12:00 PM San Pasqual 1A

12:15 PM Lunch

12:45 PM Orange Glen 2A
1:00 PM University City 2A
1:15 PM Castle Park 2A
1:30 PM Scripps Ranch 2A
1:45 PM Escondido 2A
2:00 PM Steele Canyon 2A

2:15 PM Judges Break

2:45 PM Valhalla 3A
3:00 PM Patrick Henry 3A
3:15 PM Mission Hills 3A
3:30 PM Aliso Niguel 3A
3:45 PM Imperial 3A
4:00 PM SDSU

4:15 PM Awards Ceremony
5:15 PM Dinner

6:00 PM Eastlake 4A
6:15 PM Helix 4A
6:30 PM Carlsbad 4A
6:45 PM Mira Mesa 5A
7:00 PM Calexico 6A
7:15 PM San Marcos 6A
7:30 PM Rancho Bernardo 6A
7:45 PM Mt. Carmel 6A
8:00 PM Poway (host) 6A
8:15 PM SDSU

8:45 PM Awards Ceremony

A special thanks goes out to the San Diego State Marching Aztecs for volunteering to play before our afternoon awards ceremony!

More information is available at:
http://www.phsmb.com/visitor/

usd_chem_prof
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Final Schedule - Poway Invitational Field Tournament

Post by usd_chem_prof » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Minor change. Mount Miguel has withdrawn; therefore the tournament will begin at 11 am rather than 10:45 am with Fallbrook leading off the tournament. The only changes will be in the 1A division.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 pm

I will likely be in attendance for the post-dinner groups.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:41 pm

PM AWARDS CEREMONY
(I only recorded 1st place perc and aux awards)

CLASS 4A
78.95 Carlsbad
73.10 Eastlake
72.25 Helix
Percussion: 75.5 Carlsbad
Auxiliary: 71.5 Carlsbad

CLASS 5A
77.85 Mira Mesa
Percussion: 72.5 Mira Mesa
Auxiliary: 69.0 Mira Mesa

CLASS 6A
88.80 San Marcos
87.25 Rancho Bernardo
43.30 Calexico
Percussion: 81.5 Rancho Bernardo
Auxiliary: 67.0 Rancho Bernardo

SWEEPSTAKES
Percussion: 83.5 San Marcos
Auxiliary: 73.5 San Marcos
Visual: 172.0 Rancho Bernardo
Effect: 314.0 San Marcos
Music: 412.5 Mt. Carmel

BAND: 89.00 Mt. Carmel

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:42 pm

I'll post my scores and maybe some thoughts tomorrow. I agreed with every single award EXCEPT Visual Sweepstakes. Otherwise the judges were right on (IMO).

mastertrumpet1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Poway Invitational Field Tournament - Schedule & Results

Post by mastertrumpet1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:02 pm

do you have scores for the 1A-3A

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:04 pm

As they were not part of the evening awards ceremony, no.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Eh, what the heck. Here's my "review."

CLASS 4A
EASTLAKE - Missed due to the parking lot being two miles from the stadium and the shuttle being very slow.

HELIX - Show: "Cleopatra: The Egyptian Queen". Music included Stargate and Spartacus (that's what I recognized at least). Not a lot of dynamic variance from the band, too much "mezzo-nothing." Very, very messy musically, visual is more polished so far. And the conclusion of the opener there were maybe four winds playing out of a hundred (or so it sounded); not sure the kids know this show yet. The pit wasn't over-amped but was still overpowering the winds most of the show. Some good sound and volume at full halt, band hasn't learned how to march and play at the same time without letting one or the other suffer.
My Score: 61.0, 2nd out of 2
Real Score: 72.25, 3rd out of 3

CARLSBAD - Show: "Sahara Storm". This band moves and plays as one. Solid percussion, very strong. Low brass seems a little underpowered for the ensemble, and the staging in a couple of points does them no favors. Excellent intonation and balance. Kids seem to be (mostly) on the same page with their approach to the musical presentation. Some of the middle voices a little shaky at times. Very nice woodwind sound for most of the show. Very strong battery (typical for Greg's bands). Visual incomplete? Would have liked a little more movement at the end, the visual ending doesn't seem to mesh with the musical ending's apex.
My Score: 78.0, 1st out of 2
Real Score: 78.95, 1st out of 3

CLASS 5A
MIRA MESA - Show: "From the Ashes". Music included "1000 Airplanes on the Roof" by Philip Glass; "Ave Maria" by Franz Biebl; "The Firebird" by Igor Stravinsky. Basically Phantom Regiment's 2007 show with the 2006 ballad. Visual design imitative of "On Air" with the sunset panels and the bird imagery. Weapon work in opener is great, guards starts solid but gets messier. Overall good sound, but there's a trumpet with a piercing tone that needs to be reigned in. Mira Mesa parents, I understand cheering for your band, but screaming during musical passages so no one around you can enjoy your group? Get a clue. Percussion pretty dirty, keyboards still need work on those runs in the Glass piece. Poor low brass staging in the Biebl leads to a very top-heavy sound. Pretty strong visual performance. Beginning of Firebird was a musical wreck; winds have to be a lot cleaner with those church bells fighting against the pulse. Band's articulation got really lazy at the end due to fatigue. This is a very mature show design and there is room for a LOT of growth. Would not be at all surprised to see them close the gap on the San Diego 6A bands over the next month. But, right now, it's still really dirty.
My Score: 77.0
Actual Score: 77.85

CLASS 6A
CALEXICO - Show: "Disney's Fantasmic". Thanks for showing up! But the sound production is extremely immature and the band is light-years behind the other SCSBOA 6A bands. I'm not trying to be mean, but really the concept of tone production, intonation, articulation, balance and blend are all at about the 6th/7th grade level.
My Score: 50.0 (I couldn't bring myself to go lower), 3rd place
Actual Score: 43.30, 3rd place

SAN MARCOS - Show: "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Show is basically the same as Tarpon Springs' 2010 show ("Paranormal Activity"), and San Marcos does a heck of a job with it. San Marcos's version is more "girl trapped in a nightmare" than "girl trapped in a haunted house", but there are a lot of similarities. Big sound in the opening impact. San Marcos's musical and visual ensemble were the strongest of the night. Quality drill, performed very well. Strong percussion. Some beautiful singing from the guard. Nice psyche out at the end: I was expecting the levitating guard girl (like Tarpon did), instead... no, I won't spoil the ending. Show is the total package of music, visual, and effect.
My Score: 87.5, 1st place
Actual Score: 88.80, 1st place

RANCHO BERNARDO - Show: "Bound". Music is "Symphony No. 1" by Samuel Barber. Band still produces a very nice wind sound. Pit is pretty messy. Guard is pretty good. Visual technique is solid, and drill is clean... but the difficult attempted doesn't compare to SM or MC. A lot of follow-the-leader, block forms, and simple transitions. Beautiful trombone solo in the gorgeous ballad. After that, it seems like they made the rest of the ballad easier by not emphasizing the 5-3 pulse that drives that section of the symphony. A solid show but kind of... subdued. Didn't match the energy level of the bands ahead of them.
My Score: 86.2, 2nd place
Actual Score: 87.25, 2nd place

MT. CARMEL - Show: "Cartoons, Games, and Lullabies". Slightly imitative of The Cadets' 2010 show (playful, usage of Barber's "School for Scandal"). Boy, talk about a 180 from last year's Debussy show. Guard is BRIGHT (dresses are yellow and orange, can possibly be seen from space). Excellent opening impact and crossfield marching. Brass line has guts and the best projection of the night. Very loud, but don't let the tone get out of hand. Winds need to keep the rhythms in "School for Scandal" tight. Guard plays a clever game of musical chairs as the build-up part of the Barber piece starts and stops. Beautiful attacks and intonation at the start of the closer. All around solid; show doesn't strike me as being as spectacular as San Marcos's show, but it's definitely being performed at a higher level right now.
My Score: 88.0, Sweepstakes
Actual Score: 89.00, Sweepstakes

CLASS 6A - HOST
POWAY - Show: "Street Scene: Art of the Common Man". Another Frank Sullivan show. He's becoming the new Key Poulan for me: everything's the same. Sure, all of his shows have on different "clothes," but it's always the same "body" underneath. Preshow is a jazzy alto sax solo accompanied by one percussionist bucket drumming. The bass drum heads have graffiti and logos on them. Clever. Initial impacts good, but keep those trumpets from screeching. Trash can drumming section with some nice stick visuals. Color guard uses flags with helium balloons attached to the poles with string. Ooo, they released all the balloons! Isn't that a DQ, or a big penalty? Maybe they just did it for their home show. More white noise from Frank Sullivan. Show seems a little gimmicky. The show has a lot of "stuff" in it, but still seemed flat and devoid of GE to me.
My Score: 87.0

MY SWEEPSTAKES
Percussion: San Marcos
Auxiliary: San Marcos
Visual: San Marcos
Effect: San Marcos
Music: Mt. Carmel
BAND: Mt. Carmel

ACTUAL SWEEPSTAKES
Percussion: San Marcos
Auxiliary: San Marcos
Visual: Rancho Bernardo