Post by gangemi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 am

Yeah, Royal moved to 2A this year.

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: 2011 Predictions

Post by resetdoitagain » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

candacebutterfly wrote:4A south hills! :yeah:
That's very interesting, and statistically implausible. Hart's going on 10 years now. But I guess all streaks have to end eventually.

barisarebarigood

Post by barisarebarigood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Well I guess it does depend on whether you mean at SCSBOA champs or who had the best show in the division, (Mostly applying to 6A) since there are a lot of bands that show up to Arcadia but not to champs. For example Chino has won champs for several years in a row now (since 2005), but during that entire span they have not placed better than the third highest score in 6A at the Arcadia tournament.

SocalD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SocalD » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Percfan wrote:in the 1A division it's Los Angelas of Charter Oaks year. San Marcos is dead.
San Marcos is dead? The 10+ hours I put into that program a week is for naught? Well that's a pity. Time to go to practice.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 pm

resetdoitagain wrote:
candacebutterfly wrote:4A south hills! :yeah:
That's very interesting, and statistically implausible. Hart's going on 10 years now. But I guess all streaks have to end eventually.
South Hills has their work cut out for them. After the first couple of weeks of the season, Hart has a 6-point lead over South Hills in my rankings.

Percfan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Percfan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey It's just my thought's that San Marcos will not finish in the top five.

Having followed the band scene for a long time I think San Marcos will not finish very high. Any thoughts? Bring it on!

Redflag64

Post by Redflag64 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Percfan wrote:Hey It's just my thought's that San Marcos will not finish in the top five.

Having followed the band scene for a long time I think San Marcos will not finish very high. Any thoughts? Bring it on!
well i personally think San Marcos will continue to be, as usual, a formidable contender in the 1A division, but i'll defer to the turnout of Rowland this Saturday until i have solid predictions. To be continued..

SocalD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SocalD » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Redflag64 wrote:
Percfan wrote:Hey It's just my thought's that San Marcos will not finish in the top five.

well i personally think San Marcos will continue to be, as usual, a formidable contender in the 1A division, but i'll defer to the turnout of Rowland this Saturday until i have solid predictions. To be continued..
Can I ask you what you are basing your predictions off of? San Marcos has competed in SCSBOA for 6 years and won 4 Gold and 2 Silver medals. Why would we place outside of the top 5? Sure we need TONS of work to win again, but I think your prediction is a bit drastic. An explanation would be nice! Thanks.

Percfan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Percfan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:39 am

Hey, prove me wrong!! This will be a down year for San Marcos. I know what's going on there now that I live in Santa Babara and I think San Marcos will be at best top five at best!! Look out for L.A. High school!!

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:53 am

Huh. I swear I could make a lot of money placing bets against band kids/boosters that their rival bands aren't going to magically drop ten points in one year...

Also a tip: Don't wish ill on other bands. Winning is only fun in good company.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:41 am

Don't feed the trolls. :roll:

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:23 am

I'm really only familiar with SCSBOA, and I may get some heat for this... but I can say with 99% certainty that Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King will be the best parade bands this year, and the next 5 years down the road as well. However, I do like what what Arcadia and Diamond Bar are doing so far.

As for the field, even though its early, its probably a toss up between RB and El Dorado. Mt. Carmel could sneak in. I like Chino's shows every year, but for some reason, they just don't get the scores. If they can really focus on the music this year, this could be a special season for them.

Note for small(er) bands: As much as I would like to see some new faces winning sweeps, I think its going to be the usual suspects. Hart being the lone exception, I just don't see a smaller band being able to compete with the big boys. Those are my thoughts, but feel free to disagree.

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:20 pm

horns2thebachs wrote:As for the field, even though its early, its probably a toss up between RB and El Dorado. Mt. Carmel could sneak in. I like Chino's shows every year, but for some reason, they just don't get the scores. If they can really focus on the music this year, this could be a special season for them.
You write as if Chino hasn't won 6A Champs for 6 years running. Sure at Arcadia anything goes, but at SCSBOA Championships the other bands either don't show up or lose to Chino.
horns2thebachs wrote: Hart being the lone exception, I just don't see a smaller band being able to compete with the big boys.
That's generally a good point. I've always wondered whether or not a band like VM or Clovis West sounds better than, say, San Marcos because they're bigger and can hide mistakes, or because they're actually better trained individually.

That's what makes Hart so interesting, regardless of whether you like them or not, they hold their own score-wise against bands three times their size (BOA SoCal Regional 2009, anyone??). Just my two cents on that.

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:51 pm

resetdoitagain wrote:
You write as if Chino hasn't won 6A Champs for 6 years running. Sure at Arcadia anything goes, but at SCSBOA Championships the other bands either don't show up or lose to Chino.
ya, just disregard Arcadia lol
no disrespect, I just find that point of view humorous
drummer

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 pm

resetdoitagain wrote:
horns2thebachs wrote:As for the field, even though its early, its probably a toss up between RB and El Dorado. Mt. Carmel could sneak in. I like Chino's shows every year, but for some reason, they just don't get the scores. If they can really focus on the music this year, this could be a special season for them.
Well, in case you missed it...
barisarebarigood wrote:Well I guess it does depend on whether you mean at SCSBOA champs or who had the best show in the division, (Mostly applying to 6A) since there are a lot of bands that show up to Arcadia but not to champs. For example Chino has won champs for several years in a row now (since 2005), but during that entire span they have not placed better than the third highest score in 6A at the Arcadia tournament.
I'm sorry, but you are kidding yourself if you think the winner of SCSBOA Championships is a true "champion". As I have said above, I absolutely love Chino's show year after year, but let's be honest. If all the bands who attend Arcadia attended SCSBOA Champs, most years Chino would not even medal. No disrespect to Chino's band, but can you really call yourself a champion when you only compete against 3-4 bands? To be the best, you have to beat the best. And Chino hasn't done that yet.