Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

dbg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: 2011 Predictions

Post by dbg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm

BDinkel wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are kidding yourself if you think the winner of SCSBOA Championships is a true "champion". As I have said above, I absolutely love Chino's show year after year, but let's be honest. If all the bands who attend Arcadia attended SCSBOA Champs, most years Chino would not even medal. No disrespect to Chino's band, but can you really call yourself a champion when you only compete against 3-4 bands? To be the best, you have to beat the best. And Chino hasn't done that yet.
I would consider San Marcos, Patriot, Carlsbad, Hart and Nogales to be SCSBOA Champions, even though not all the groups who compete in those divisions during the season do championships. Simply put, they are champions of SCSBOA because they won at SCSBOA championships.

http://scsboa.org/mb/mbnew.htm

Obviously, being the 6A winner at the Arcadia Field Tournament is probably a more prestigious honor, but don't take away from the groups that do decide to extend their season for SCSBOA championships.
Brian, stop making sense.

resetdoitagain
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by resetdoitagain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:10 pm

laurab wrote:and the show Hart was at this weekend was MBOS, which has different sheets therefore the score from that show is not an accurate comparison either.
Yeah, Hart was at Charter Oak, where they took Sweepstakes over Poway, Chino, and Fountain Valley. I don't know if we can just count them out because they didn't do SCSBOA last Saturday.

Ravel
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Ravel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Hart must have another killer show, and although I know they are one of the best in Cali, I was still surprised to see them take down heavyweights like poway for the sweep. I am giving my prediction to hart for a 10-peat this year just based on this alone ( it may be premature given the time of the season and me not having seen their show yet...). However, I will always be rooting for south hills, whose great program has been getting better and better every year. One of these days, there will be a glorious upset in the 4A division...
Pit
Pit
Pit
Pit
Pit
and, what do ya know!
Pit

stratman15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stratman15 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:14 am

Chino might not be "the best band in 6A," but they are the SCSBOA Champion.
Tenor Saxophone
University of California Marching Band 2012-
Carlsbad Marching Lancers 2008-2012
2008 - Snow Caps
2009 - Deja View (SCSBOA 3A Champs)
2010 - Fast Track (SCSBOA 3A Champs)
2011 - Sahara Storm

bassjunky
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bassjunky » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Wow why has become the Chino bashing thread. Chino holds its own and they don't brag about it. How about we make comments on how each week the amount of hard work all groups in all divisions accomplish and then see how it ends at Champs. 8-)

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:35 am

Nobody is bashing... the point is simply that the 6a champion in ANY given year, which happens to be Chino for the past 6 years, is usually not the best band in SCSBOA due to the lack of participants.

Percfan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Percfan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 am

[Deleted, because I'm a chump who ignored the moderator's warning]

Stevenrherman

Post by Stevenrherman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 am

Admin please... :shock:

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:45 am

Percfan wrote:[Deleted, because I'm a chump who ignored the moderator's warning]
Chino and Hart are NOT overrated. And this comes from an instructor of a band that has competed in SCSBOA, WBA, MBOS, SCJA and BOA, and as someone who has attended BOA Regional Championships across the country (plus BOA Grand National Championships). I have not seen much of San Marcos, so I won't comment, but I'm sure they are good.

The "true champ" is named at Arcadia? Okay, YOUR fantasy. Realize someone else could say that the "true champ" is named at SCSBOA Championships...or WBA Championships, or SCJA Championships, or MBOS Championshps etc. Would this claim be as powerful? Why or why not? What does it mean to be the "true champ"? Best at both field show AND band review? That's fine. But know that some bands choose not to participate in band review. But furthermore know that some bands choose not to participate in tournaments PERIOD. Now if your band were an exhibition band would your band be a "loser" band? What if your band or performance ensemble just did the major, nationally televised parades like Macy's, Rose Parade, Fiesta Bowl, etc., but neglected to go to what you deem a legit "end all, be all" tourney? Get it? But let's talk about how many people care (or remember) that Mt. Carmel won the 1993 SCSBOA Tournament of Champions? Did you stop to think about the two bands that were just able to have the OPPORTUNITY to perform in Open Class because they had the highest scores in Class AAA, and how elated they were? Or how about how the EXPERIENCE of being in band (to begin with) and how it outweighs any plastic dust-collector?

I used to idolize Etiwanda for their excellence when I was a student and used to wish I was in Etiwanda's band, so much so that I reached out to a student in the band to talk to him about it and found out that he was just like me--a kid who showed up to rehearsals and worked just as hard as anyone else. But he was humble and could care less if his band got 1st place or last place at a show. THAT, to me, was someone--and a band--I could look up to. They wanted to be good at what they did and they succeeded. The scores and trophies and opinions were just an aftermath. The life-long friends, the "remember whens?" and sometimes the little things such as the bus rides to the shows are what stay with you.

I won't even comment on your "SCSBOA championships are for the fake champs" statement. Please think before you type...

Sincerely,

Alan

Stevenrherman

Post by Stevenrherman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:37 am

airons0678 wrote:
Percfan wrote:[Deleted, because I'm a chump who ignored the moderator's warning]
Chino and Hart are NOT overrated. And this comes from an instructor of a band that has competed in SCSBOA, WBA, MBOS, SCJA and BOA, and as someone who has attended BOA Regional Championships across the country (plus BOA Grand National Championships). I have not seen much of San Marcos, so I won't comment, but I'm sure they are good.

The "true champ" is named at Arcadia? Okay, YOUR fantasy. Realize someone else could say that the "true champ" is named at SCSBOA Championships...or WBA Championships, or SCJA Championships, or MBOS Championshps etc. Would this claim be as powerful? Why or why not? What does it mean to be the "true champ"? Best at both field show AND band review? That's fine. But know that some bands choose not to participate in band review. But furthermore know that some bands choose not to participate in tournaments PERIOD. Now if your band were an exhibition band would your band be a "loser" band? What if your band or performance ensemble just did the major, nationally televised parades like Macy's, Rose Parade, Fiesta Bowl, etc., but neglected to go to what you deem a legit "end all, be all" tourney? Get it? But let's talk about how many people care (or remember) that Mt. Carmel won the 1993 SCSBOA Tournament of Champions? Did you stop to think about the two bands that were just able to have the OPPORTUNITY to perform in Open Class because they had the highest scores in Class AAA, and how elated they were? Or how about how the EXPERIENCE of being in band (to begin with) and how it outweighs any plastic dust-collector?

I used to idolize Etiwanda for their excellence when I was a student and used to wish I was in Etiwanda's band, so much so that I reached out to a student in the band to talk to him about it and found out that he was just like me--a kid who showed up to rehearsals and worked just as hard as anyone else. But he was humble and could care less if his band got 1st place or last place at a show. THAT, to me, was someone--and a band--I could look up to. They wanted to be good at what they did and they succeeded. The scores and trophies and opinions were just an aftermath. The life-long friends, the "remember whens?" and sometimes the little things such as the bus rides to the shows are what stay with you.

I won't even comment on your "SCSBOA championships are for the fake champs" statement. Please think before you type...

Sincerely,

Alan

Couldnt have said it better. :yeah: