Hostrauser's California Bands Pre-Season Rankings 2011

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

TBDecker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Hostrauser's California Bands Pre-Season Rankings 2011

Post by TBDecker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 am

I would also like to say thank you for compiling these lists and rankings. My band will enter it's fifth year of competing this year, we are not on the list yet but we are going to do our best to earn a spot on next years pre-season rankings.
Timothy Decker
Director of Music
Rancho Cotate High School

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 am

I competed against Rancho Cotate a few times back in the early 90s (along with Analy and Casa Grande) but then they all just kind of dropped off the map. Good to see at least one of them coming back.

Analy and CG both had big bands, too. Analy was over 150, CG over 100. Did they just stop competing, or did the programs fall apart?

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 pm

TBDecker wrote:I would also like to say thank you for compiling these lists and rankings. My band will enter it's fifth year of competing this year, we are not on the list yet but we are going to do our best to earn a spot on next years pre-season rankings.
Tim had a some good mentoring :lol: ...as far as thanking those who give their time/work!! Good job Tim!! HAVE A GREAT SEASON!!!

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Hostrauser wrote:I competed against Rancho Cotate a few times back in the early 90s (along with Analy and Casa Grande) but then they all just kind of dropped off the map. Good to see at least one of them coming back.

Analy and CG both had big bands, too. Analy was over 150, CG over 100. Did they just stop competing, or did the programs fall apart?
They still have large successful programs. Analy close to 200, with 3 concert bands, jazz band and orchestra. Casa Grande has about 160 with three concert band and two jazz bands. They just don't compete much.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

SocalD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SocalD » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 pm

What's the reasoning behind putting San Marcos 3rd in 1A SCSBOA? They are consistently the best of that division. 3 out of the last 4 gold medals.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:56 pm

SocalD wrote:What's the reasoning behind putting San Marcos 3rd in 1A SCSBOA? They are consistently the best of that division. 3 out of the last 4 gold medals.
You're right. I double-checked my spreadsheet and realized I had accidentally logged San Marcos's auxiliary score instead of their band score from SCSBOA Champs in 2010. I've fixed this and they jumped up to 1st in 1A.

Thanks for spotting it! 8-)

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Psalm 56 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:56 am

Hostrauser wrote:
SocalD wrote:What's the reasoning behind putting San Marcos 3rd in 1A SCSBOA? They are consistently the best of that division. 3 out of the last 4 gold medals.
You're right. I double-checked my spreadsheet and realized I had accidentally logged San Marcos's auxiliary score instead of their band score from SCSBOA Champs in 2010. I've fixed this and they jumped up to 1st in 1A.

Thanks for spotting it! 8-)
LOVE LOVE LOVE hostrauser's passion for this site/posting. I WILL THANK YOU AGAIN (joining hopefully one or two others eventually) FOR GIVING US THIS SERVICE!!!!!! :yeah:

TBDecker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TBDecker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:34 pm

JJ Wright was the original band director at Rancho Cotate, and he did great things with the band. He retired in 1992 and the subsequent band directors, including a period when they had a student director, did not maintain the program.

I am very happy to be getting Rancho Cotate back out into the world or marching band. Casa Grande still marches in the Butter and Eggs parade each year, and Analy in the Apple Blossom Parade, and both have successful concert and jazz programs.
Timothy Decker
Director of Music
Rancho Cotate High School