Antioch Band Review Sept. 24th Lineup (tentative)

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Antioch Band Review Sept. 24th Lineup (tentative)

Post by Psalm 56 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 pm

12drummersdrumming wrote:
JCYS wrote:
baritoneplayer wrote:As I understand it, Golden Valley is marching 154 musicians and 40 guard for a total of 194 students which I believe is their largest marching band in the history of the school! :)

That is pretty large, your feeder school bands & guards must be impressive too..
Actually.....................no. The best Middle School program in Merced sends most of their kids to the Merced Marching 100. This is a testament to the ability of Mr. Christiansen to teach and get the most out of his students.
With or with out a "strong" middle school program....MR. CHRISTIANSEN is one of the BEST MUSIC TEACHERS!! I am very much an admirer of his work. Yet, I thought Tenaya Middle School fed into Golden Valley Middle School....so they feed into Merced, TOO?! Hmmm

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Well, what I was saying, is that even as ultimately cool as Mr C is...and as his friend I can testify to that...even he cannot pull out a magic wand and produce students out of thin air (OR CAN HE???? :? )...

BUT...I do not know what kids go to GV or MHS from where, but compared to many feeder schools, the MS's around Merced have PRETTY LARGE bands AND guards...Tenaya, Hoover, Cruickshank, Rivera, etc. all produce good size bands and large guards that are out there on the street as well as concert....

I would call them some of the most active MS bands in Nor Cal...particularly on the street.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:29 pm

JCYS wrote:Well, what I was saying, is that even as ultimately cool as Mr C is...and as his friend I can testify to that...even he cannot pull out a magic wand and produce students out of thin air (OR CAN HE???? :? )...

BUT...I do not know what kids go to GV or MHS from where, but compared to many feeder schools, the MS's around Merced have PRETTY LARGE bands AND guards...Tenaya, Hoover, Cruickshank, Rivera, etc. all produce good size bands and large guards that are out there on the street as well as concert....

I would call them some of the most active MS bands in Nor Cal...particularly on the street.
Weaver, Hoover and some of Cruickshank feed into GV.
Rivera, Tenaya, and part of Cruickshank usually feed into MHS. In the past, the majority of my guard girls from Cruickshank fed into GV. Now, however, most go to MHS.

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:37 pm

rhinestonekitty wrote:Weaver, Hoover and some of Cruickshank feed into GV.
Rivera, Tenaya, and part of Cruickshank usually feed into MHS. In the past, the majority of my guard girls from Cruickshank fed into GV. Now, however, most go to MHS.
Rivera feeds about 50/50 to Merced and Buhach. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new high school in Merced is built and opens (I believe fall 2013 is the goal) that is suppose to alleviate overcrowding at Merced and Golden Valley. Could there be a third great high school music program in Merced city limits? Between GV, MM100, Buhach, and Atwater, I feel privileged to teach music in an area where music is still a part of the curriculum. I feel bad for all schools and area where it has been cut altogether. Fundraising can be a pain, but when it's the only way to keep a program going, we'll do as much as it takes. Anyone want to buy some cookie dough?

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:11 pm

^
How about wrapping paper? :wink:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 pm

mariahorn wrote:
rhinestonekitty wrote:Weaver, Hoover and some of Cruickshank feed into GV.
Rivera feeds about 50/50 to Merced and Buhach. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new high school in Merced is built and opens (I believe fall 2013 is the goal) that is suppose to alleviate overcrowding at Merced and Golden Valley. Could there be a third great high school music program in Merced city limits? Between GV, MM100, Buhach, and Atwater, I feel privileged to teach music in an area where music is still a part of the curriculum. I feel bad for all schools and area where it has been cut altogether. Fundraising can be a pain, but when it's the only way to keep a program going, we'll do as much as it takes. Anyone want to buy some cookie dough?

Maria - I never knew that Rivera feeds into Buhach until you mentioned it the other day! I thought only Winton and Mitchell fed into them. That's pretty awesome...I think there is only 1 girl from Cruickshank in their guard this year. I love seeing that school grow. You're right...Merced has stepped it up in the past several years...pretty much any high school you go to in Merced/Atwater, you'll be part of a great marching band/music program.