Arroyo Band Music history

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

gotabasset
New Recruit
New Recruit

Arroyo Band Music history

Post by gotabasset » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi there. As some of you may be aware, John B. Robbins, Arroyo's first and longest serving band director (about 35 years give or take a few), passed away in February. The Arroyo Band alumni and our current band director, Joe Massaro, are planning a musical tribute to Mr. Robbins for June 11 at the Arroyo Gym. The question of what music to play has come up and I'm wondering (and hoping) that someone out here in music world can point us in the direction of finding out what marches Arroyo may have played from the late 1950s through the 1980s. Some alumni have suggested playing a few of them at the tribute, but we have yet to get titles. We have no idea if there are records someplace from parades and band reviews - maybe SCSBOA archives? - but if anyone has an idea of where to look, can you let us know? We've tried going through scrap books, but in those days they mostly just put in pictures and newspaper clippings that didn't hold up to well since the paper they were printed on wasn't archival. Thanks if anyone can help or has ideas. You can contact the Arroyo Band office at 626-258-5392.

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Arroyo Band Music history

Post by dr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

I have the following in my records, however I only show Mr. Robbins there until 1975:

Arroyo High School
Competitive Marches
1966 – Bravura
1970 – The Mad Major
1971 – The Standard of St. George
1972 – On the Quarter Deck
1973 – Army of the Nile
1974 – Holyrood
1975 – Sound Off
1978 – Uncle Henry
1979 – Sound Off
1982 – El Capitan