And the band played on.....too loud!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bandguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: And the band played on.....too loud!

Post by bandguy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:05 pm

Maybe CIF will get in a rule writing frenzy and forbid bands from being at athletic events all together.

Just think, all those poor bands having Friday nights off in the fall with nothing to do... :rotf:
Pep Manning

fidave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fidave » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:45 pm

If I'm the CIF, why stop with the marching bands. Why not outlaw all those noisy high school students and parents. After all, high school sports aren't about student and community participation. They are about making sure that the announcers at these local broadcasts of the high school football game of the week can hear themselves think.

Honestly, it is important that the players on the field can hear the whistle at the end of each play, so kids don't get hurt by improper late hits.

I'm sure there are ways that marching band programs can continue to support school spirit at football games, without playing during an actual play (playing until the offense breaks the huddle, or playing just during official timeouts/change of possession).

Hopefully the CIF can continue to strike a balance between player safety and contest fairness without encroaching on student participation. After all, I'd hate to think of the reduction in football game attendance if band parents (and siblings) stayed home on Friday nights.
A Smith & Wesson Always Beats Four Aces

gooordo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gooordo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:57 pm

yea, that kind of stuff has happened to us a couple times too. we were always fine before, then all of a sudden one game they told us we couldnt play, etc. only during certain times. which is totally bogus because now we hardly ever finish a song and we dont get to play as many songs as we used to. that was one of the best things about football games, was getting to play. but we just kind of sit there. :(
"Good enough is the enemy of greatness"-Phil R.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:26 am

I haven't been to a college game in a while. How do the colleges handle the bands?

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:56 am

I'd suggest a visit to a Fresno State game. That is an eye opener. 8-)

MaestroOfBandX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaestroOfBandX » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:44 pm

SinfonianBrass wrote:Slightly off topic, but still funny...................MaestroOfBandX knows of this ref, and most likely has more stories of her too.
Many more! Let's just say she doesn't care for us either... :rotf:
Surfersax wrote:Irrelevant, but it sounds like the time when our sax quartet was playing tequila at a football game and the next day the principal yelled at the band director because the song implied the use of alcohol when everyone yells "tequila".
At the request of our administration, we decided to go with the alternate shout of "Tortilla!"

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:56 pm

MaestroOfBandX wrote: At the request of our administration, we decided to go with the alternate shout of "Tortilla!"
I am using that with my group. :rotf:

I like that.....ALOT...
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

xblackwoodx
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by xblackwoodx » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:18 pm

I was told that playing during your own teams offense is aloud and playing between plays while the other team has the ball is aloud. Also, timeouts, change of possesions, and touch downs, but those are the usual.

The real problem I encounter when leading the band is avoiding playing at the same time the cheerleaders are cheering. They always cheer at random times, without paying attention to the game, so when there is a perfect oppurtunity to play something, I am always stopped because they are doing some random cheer.

Also, I usually plan to play during quarter breaks, but when the clock acutally hits zero, the cheerleaders start doing a choregraphed dance to music. It can be quite annoying, esoecially since the whole band is all ready and excited to play.
Turner Blatchley
Redlands East Valley Marching Wildcats
"Ancient Rituals 2008" Drum Major
"Toy Story 2007" Assistant Drum Major
"Unanswered Questions 2006" Baritone Section Leader
"Slither: The Story of Medusa 2005"

JediMasterBando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JediMasterBando » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:00 am

Marching band has never been an issue (we are pretty small for a college band), but the pep band here at MSU used to be stationed right behind the visiting team's bench. It was a lot of fun because we'd play our loudest songs right at their coach during timeouts (several moved their huddles to center court so they could hear each other), and yell and heckle when we weren't playing (our school AD got calls from the NCAA a couple times; once specifically about the trombone section :tbone: :rotf: ). The school was finally forced to move where we sit because of a directive from the Big Sky Conference. I don't blame them, because I'm sure it was a little unsportsmanlike. It sure was fun though...
"Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them. " -Richard Strauss

'05-'08 MSU Spirit of the West Marching Band!
'08 Drum Major

Kappa Kappa Psi- Beta

The Sun Never Sets!
Mt. Carmel '01-'05