All Western Dreams

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gonzofoto » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:21 pm

comment removed
Last edited by Gonzofoto on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:00 pm

First, there has never been anything said that would indicate that the book 1) does not exist and 2) will never be published. From what I've been told "the book" is real, so any conclusions to the contrary are premature.

Second, just because "the book" comes up in the middle of a thread, that does not mean any conversation in that thread needs to die. In my mind, if "the book" is mentioned during the course of a thread, then that thread is worthy because the subject matter may be in "the book".

... and my offer to type or proofread still stands vore. :)

Maybe we need a "The Book" thread like we have a "The Voice Fan Club" thread over in Off Topic?

Back on topic ... I'd love to see any videos from 1972ish to 1978 specifically of Loara. My old 8mm film was too brittle to convert to DVD or video.

zarcland
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: All Western Dreams

Post by zarcland » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I thought my .02 would be worthwhile. Since many asked for it, the 1981 All Western Band Review performance of Stars and Stripes (with the Coda) by Arcadia has been posted on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zarcland

A few other performances from that era will be posted on that channel as well. Enjoy.

edited to correct "2001" to the proper "1981", beauties of aging.

zarcland
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by zarcland » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 pm

The overhead view of Arcadia High School's sweepstakes performance of "The Rifle Regiment" in the 1980 All Western Band Review has been posted on my youtube channel:

Stop by and check it out.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for posting these. :cool2:

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by dr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 pm

zarcland wrote:The overhead view of Arcadia High School's sweepstakes performance of "The Rifle Regiment" in the 1980 All Western Band Review has been posted on my youtube channel:

Stop by and check it out.
Clarification - the YouTube posting mentions that Arcadia HS was the Host Band that year. Actually -

The only "Host Band" designation on record is El Cajon Valley HS, under the direction of Benton Minor in 1960. It was awarded to El Cajon Valley HS because they had won in each of the previous three years.

The title changed from "Host Band" "to Honor Band" in 1971, when it was awarded to Loara HS, under the direction of Rick Marino. Arcadia was the "Honor Band" in 1975, under the direction of John Work, and again in 1981, under the direction of current director, Tom Landes.
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!

zarcland
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by zarcland » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm

dr wrote: Clarification - the YouTube posting mentions that Arcadia HS was the Host Band that year. Actually -

The only "Host Band" designation on record is El Cajon Valley HS, under the direction of Benton Minor in 1960. It was awarded to El Cajon Valley HS because they had won in each of the previous three years.

The title changed from "Host Band" "to Honor Band" in 1971, when it was awarded to Loara HS, under the direction of Rick Marino. Arcadia was the "Honor Band" in 1975, under the direction of John Work, and again in 1981, under the direction of current director, Tom Landes.
Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't mean to confuse anyone.

The terms are sort of interchangeable for it's intent, Arcadia marched, was scored yet did not compete - as the Honor Band (as they do at West Arcadia -yes save for once or twice -where they are referred to as the host).

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by dr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 pm

zarcland wrote:
dr wrote: Clarification - the YouTube posting mentions that Arcadia HS was the Host Band that year. Actually -

The terms are sort of interchangeable for it's intent, Arcadia marched, was scored yet did not compete - as the Honor Band (as they do at West Arcadia -yes save for once or twice -where they are referred to as the host).
And one year when they competed in the West Arcadia Band Review instead of hosting.
Last edited by dr on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!

zarcland
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by zarcland » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 pm

dr wrote:

And one year when they competed.[/quote]

Yes, as I mentioned in my response.

marchingmusicenthusiast
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by marchingmusicenthusiast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 am

Arcadia's band was second to none in the late 70's and 80's. No other could stir up a crowd like they could.

I still get goosebumps watching these videos!

P.S. Hi all, I'm new here :yeah:

Heyoo85
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Heyoo85 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:03 am

marchingmusicenthusiast wrote:Arcadia's band was second to none in the late 70's and 80's. No other could stir up a crowd like they could.

I still get goosebumps watching these videos!

P.S. Hi all, I'm new here :yeah:
I think Arcadia still has that effect today :)
"The happiest people don't always have the best of everything, they make the best of everything"