CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

short stuff

Re: CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Post by short stuff » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 pm

I was in the Whittier Cavaliers for 4 years. Started in the drill team, became captain, help start the color guard and twirled rifle and then went to the Kingsmen and came back to instruct the color guard for the Cavaliers. I instructed them for about 3 years.

I got out of girl scouts because I found it boring. But as an adult I got involved with boy scouts, teaching adults to become leaders and leaders to become trainers. But it's nothing like a Youth Band. Wish there were more bands around like the good old days.

Short Stuff

islandstyle

Post by islandstyle » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting the pictures you posted of Armijo Superband. I am new to this forum and it did bring back a lot of memories. Armijo back then was the band to watch.

Thanks so much again.

Rik

"One year we placed 1st in our division and also took 2nd in Music Overall behind Glendora of southern California. Foothill-Pleasanton took 2nd in our division.... what a surprise!"

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:45 pm

islandstyle wrote:Hello,

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting the pictures you posted of Armijo Superband. I am new to this forum and it did bring back a lot of memories. Armijo back then was the band to watch.

Thanks so much again.

Rik

"One year we placed 1st in our division and also took 2nd in Music Overall behind Glendora of southern California. Foothill-Pleasanton took 2nd in our division.... what a surprise!"
This thread tho is about SoCal YOUTH bands. I think you want to post in the high school band threads? :wink: 8-)

mdrapkin

Post by mdrapkin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 am

We now have a Royal Cavaliers Youth Band group on Facebook with a lot of our old friends on it, as well as photos. Feel free to join us!

Regards,

Michael Drapkin

short stuff

Post by short stuff » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Do you mind an old Whittier Cavalier visiting your site? Even though we were rivals, there were some of us that were friends. How far back are there Royal Cavaliers on your site? We left my sister at your headquarters one night when we were papering it, because she wouldn't get back into the car. Your drum major (think his name was John, not Combs) at that time had to drive her all the way home.

old french horn guy

Post by old french horn guy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 pm

That drum major was John Bowers, I remember hearing about the "party"

short stuff

Post by short stuff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Those were the good old years. I even made a dummy that looked just like a Royal Cavalier in uniform and hung it in the driveway. It was great.

Your location is listed as Phoenix OR? Where is that?

old french horn guy

Post by old french horn guy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:30 am

Hello short stuff, Phoenix is in So Oregon between Medford and Ashland. And talk about a parade vacum, there is one parade in Medford in April, and the 4th of July have parades in Central Point and Ashland. School bands are the musical entries. These bands are NOTHING like we saw, or can see in So Cal.

short stuff

Post by short stuff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:58 am

I travel a lot to small towns. They always talk about how good their parades are. They are usually politicians, local company floats, 2 rinky dink bands and horses. If they only knew what a real parade is like.
Last edited by short stuff on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:12 pm

If there are more "universal" comments for the whole board on this subject, feel free to post them here.

If you wish to continue a one-on-one conversation, please move it to Private Messaging (the PM button).

Thanks.

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:13 pm

It's been quite a while, but I've added created a couple of new webpages with media files from the 70s.

It's al work in progress and there's no navigation from my website to these pages yet. The first one has some video clips and audio clips from 1972 and 1973. The second page had audio clips for the 4 youth bands which performed exhibition performances at the 1979 Odyssey Classic

THere are two:

http://www.blackboxbuster.com/YouthBand ... meset.html

http://www.blackboxbuster.com/OdysseyClassic1979.html

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Lopez
Torrance Area Youth Band 1971-1979
Los Caballeros Youth Band 1979 - 1981

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:06 pm

CrystalMage wrote:It's been quite a while, but I've added created a couple of new webpages with media files from the 70s.

It's al work in progress and there's no navigation from my website to these pages yet. The first one has some video clips and audio clips from 1972 and 1973.
The video clips appear to be from the Downey Christmas Parade, not the Lompoc Flower Festival Parade. The church in the background gives it away, and there are no shadows cast by the marchers, so it was overcast that day.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll change the title of those clips.

I just added another audio tape to the following link:

http://www.blackboxbuster.com/YouthBand ... meset.html

It's of LBJCB's 1972 Shrine performance and the Mass Youth Band finale. The quality is "ok" considering it's been on cassette for all these years.

I usually would split the audio into two, but in this case, the LBJCB's performance leads in the mass band, imo.

Thanks

Michael
Michael Lopez
Torrance Area Youth Band 1971-1979
Los Caballeros Youth Band 1979 - 1981

LADodg9711

Post by LADodg9711 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:19 am

I was a member of Los Caballeros Youth Band in the City of Carson. There were great times then. I was also in the high school band at Banning High. What was a challenge, is one year I had to march in the Hollywood Lane Parade twice. Once with Banning and the 2nd with Cabbie. I was beat after that!

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Heh...try marching the Vegas Helldorado parade twice. I did it once as DM of my HS band then the 2nd time with LBJCB. It was only like 112 degrees, LOL. :shock: