CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

cw

Post by cw » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Just that was the word around the camp fire.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:32 pm

cw wrote:Just that was the word around the camp fire.
You mean gossip. Always a good basis for throwing around accusations.
A good rule of thumb is, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Agreed. Never post anything up for the public to read, unless you can back it up with fact.

Facts, facts, facts...

cw

Post by cw » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:59 am

There was a request for information. No one had any and I provided what I knew to be the truth. With the exception of Mr. Willet taking the Band to AV, it is correct.
I should be thanked for providing some illumination here, rather than slammed

MurrayDelph

LAPD vs Burbank Police

Post by MurrayDelph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:09 pm

I just sent a message to BlackBoxBuster.com.

To paraphrase myself (because I am too lazy to type it all over again).

I found worldofpageantry.com. when I was Googling for the "Whittier Elks Cavaliers"

I was a member of the LAPD Junior Band from Autumn 1967 until April 1974, when I aged out.

I was reading your comments about the pictures on your site and decided to check them out. It appears the picture was stored correctly, but you were talked into changing the caption. The picture named "lapoliceyouthbandhermosa.JPG" is captioned "Burbank Police Boys Youth Band. Hermosa Beach Parade, circa 1971" It is, in fact, the Los Angeles Police Junior Band.

The uniform confusion was from LAPD changing their uniforms. When we first started out, our uniforms were based on police uniforms (with metal badge). They were blue serge wool, overseas caps, gold scarves and white leggings. These were expensive to maintain, as they needed to be dry-cleaned regularly. After many years of wear, and loss of badges, the uniforms were changed to white pants, blue jackets, white scarves
and berets.

The Burbank Police Boys Band, also wore a police-style uniform, but their badges were embroidered into the uniform.

I feel I can say this with authority, as I am the guy in the front row, left side (as you look at it). Why I appear to not be carrying my saxophone, I have no idea; but that is definitely me.

As far as why I was Googling Cavaliers, it is a matter of it being a small world. Near the end of my time with LAPD Jr. Band, the girl who would become my wife, Marina, was in Cavaliers (something we didn't know until much later). All of her photos from her youth were tragically destroyed, so I occasionally look to see if someone has posted photos of her. Haven't
found any yet, but it is funny to find an old one of me.

If anyone has photos of the Cavaliers from that period, would you please contact me.

Thanks,

Tom Stern

LAPD Jr Band
Westchester High School
UCLA Marching Band(only 1 quarter;didn't like it)

terryobrien80
New Recruit
New Recruit

Armijo High School

Post by terryobrien80 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:06 am

Hi there. I was in the Armijo Superband from 1976 to 1978, and I threw a few old pics on a link to share:
http://www.geocities.com/armijosuperband/index.htm
:D
Terry O'Brien - Armijo HS class of 1980

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Armijo High School

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:13 pm

terryobrien80 wrote:Hi there. I was in the Armijo Superband from 1976 to 1978, and I threw a few old pics on a link to share:
http://www.geocities.com/armijosuperband/index.htm
:D
Cool old photos, but the Armijo Superband was not a youth band, they were a high school band. :shock:

Youth bands were NOT school bands, they were extra-curricular bands. Many had members ages 13 thru 21 and from various schools. Just like drum corps...
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Gearheaddean

Ozzie's Band

Post by Gearheaddean » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 am

I was in the band starting around 1968 into the 1970's. I believe the drum
major (in the picture) was Candy Carrol. The band starting in the early sixties (or 50's) was affiliated with Ozzie's Music in San Diego. One branch was located on El Cajon Blvd. near 70th Street, and the other was on Morena Blvd. Both in San Diego. Early on, they were known as Ozzie's Marching Charger Band and regurly performed at the Charger football games. Their glory days were earlier than when I was a member. Benton Minor was involved prior to my membership in the band. He was band director at El Cajon Valley HS and later became director of bands at Cal State Fullerton in the glory days of the state university bands when the SDSU, CSULB, and CSUF marching bands didn't take a back seat to no one. I remember sweepstakes trophies from National Orange Show, Maytime Band Review among many others in the trophy case. My sister and I were both in the band. She later become drum major at Monte Vista HS (Spring Valley) and took first place (if my memoriy's right) at Long Beach All Western Band review in 1976-77 in military (while at Monte Vista). It was a great time in the band as it was for many other members in the numerous in Southern Calif. Ozzie's Band had junior ( for beginers), intermediate, and honor band levels based on an individual's ability. The honor band marched in comp. parades. The Intermediate band joined for all others. We marched at least once yearly at Disneyland. During my time in the band, the nubers for honor band ran from 80-120 members and I do know that it was larger prior to my membership. I believe that the youth bands fed and enhanced many of the quality HS programs which existed back in those days. Maybe my perception is wrong, but the HS programs don't seem as good today as they were back then and there aren't as many youth band opportunities today as there were then either. Seeing that picture was great! Thanks for posting it! I joined the group because of that. :lol:

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Ozzie's Band

Post by vore » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Gearheaddean wrote:He was band director at El Cajon Valley HS and later became director of bands at Cal State Fullerton in the glory days of the state university bands when the SDSU, CSULB, and CSUF marching bands didn't take a back seat to no one. :lol:
Ahhh... CSU Fullerton never had a marching band.

vore 8-)
BM - CSUF 1973
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ozzie's Band

Post by Brich » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm

vore wrote:
Gearheaddean wrote:He was band director at El Cajon Valley HS and later became director of bands at Cal State Fullerton in the glory days of the state university bands when the SDSU, CSULB, and CSUF marching bands didn't take a back seat to no one. :lol:
Ahhh... CSU Fullerton never had a marching band.

vore 8-)
BM - CSUF 1973
I also recall the Fall of 1967...the CSULB band at SDSU. After the game, there was a short 'battle of bands.' The Aztec band fired up "Winchester Cathedral" (a pop tune of that era). In response, H Robert Reynolds had us play a little stand tune: The finale to Stravinsky's Firebird suite....those were fun days :-)

Gearheaddean

CSUF Marching Band

Post by Gearheaddean » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:43 pm

I thought they did when they had a football team..but I stand corrected.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:45 pm

The CSUF pep band did perform at the home games.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

rifle instructor

Re: Old School

Post by rifle instructor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:52 pm

Mad City wrote:Does anyone remember a band from Rock Falls, Illinois that toured out here in 75'? I was in that band. We will never forget our toughest competition...Van Nuys Royal Cavaliers. Awsome!
Yes i remember the Rock Falls Marching Rockets I used to teach the rifle line, guard and designed the show. I loved the Van Nuys Cavaliers while they were a smaller band what they did with the number people they had was very cool and whenthey played they rocked!
rifle, guard, desinger instructor of the rock falls marching rockets

old french horn guy

Post by old french horn guy » Sat May 24, 2008 8:55 pm

These stories are great. I was in the Royal Cavaliers Youth Band from 1970 till 1975 when I aged out. Great times and memories. I had forgotten about alot of these bands. Thanks for the memories!!

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 am

Wow....how cool. I was in the Whittier Elks from 67 to 70 and then I founded the California Cavalry Youth Band. John Combs and I were pretty good friends. Then I got a job and backed out of Cavalry in 76 and moved to Northern California in 78 but yes....some very good times.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.